Monday, July 21, 2008

Our First Day of Work

Well howdy Crossroads!

So the day started off very early and cold. 5:30am and 51degrees to be exact. After lying in bed shivering to death, we finally got up and about and down to breakfast. It was eggs, bacon, and sausage, but I didn’t have too much because it wasn’t my momma’s cooking!

After breakfast we all got ready with our awesome hats, my friend Annabeth and I made, and World Changer bandanas and aprons. We made sure to wear clothing that we wouldn’t mind getting messy. We headed outside for the “Great Sendoff”, where we did the Hokey Pokey, said a few prayers and then went on to our work destinations.

The crew I am on is called the “Nail Heads” and we started working on our project house belonging to a sweet lady named Mrs. Williams. We started with scraping off the old paint on the outside of her home. It was physically tiring, but I must say we entertained ourselves by playing games to pass the time. My friend Jordan and I had a contest to see who could scrape off the longest paint piece…I don’t wanna brag but I did win with a whopping 35”!

After working the morning hours, our host church dropped by to bring us lunch. While eating my peaches and Pringles with a bottle of water, we all gathered around to have an afternoon devotional, after which we resumed working.

Finishing around 4:00, we headed back to the church. I ran to the showers to try and clean off the caked on dirt and paint of my skin and hair. The shower definitely felt good…real good! Then we had about 2 hours to relax. My friends and I passed the time coloring in some coloring books. Then at 6:00, it was time for dinner. My favorite…Spaghetti! It was delicious.

When dinner was over we all went up to the worship center to have the evening service. This one really made an impact on me and the rest of the students at Crossroads. It was a unique and explored the Lord’s Prayer, breaking it up and explaining it in depth. It was different because you couldn’t see the speakers, but you could hear them. This helped me focus on our Father better, and not who was standing up there. God really showed me tonight that he was in control and that I should just sit back and let him take the reigns of my life. After realizing what He was telling me, I was just broken. Tears just began to fall from my eyes. I had been worrying so much lately about situations in my life; boys, family, and things that I just don’t need to be worried about. He basically told me to “Chill out! I got this!”

After service, we had our family group meeting. We prayed and took up an offering for different missions around the country. One supports Urban ministries, one supports providing student missionaries to college campuses in Canada, and one that supports a conference called Kaleo Conference, a conference where students who feel the call to vocational ministry are trained and explore where they are called to.

All in all it was a really spiritually fulfilling day that was full of great times.

-Kalynn Meese

No comments: