Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mexico 2009- Miracles on the Streets of Ucopi



Let me just start out by saying that Bridget doesn't speak Spanish. She doesn't understand it, either -- typically. And while I'm giving a bit of background story, I'll tell you that door-to-door witnessing in Ucopi is not exactly... recommended. These city slums are a dangerous place. I was forewarned. But in an effort to be most effective and use my time according to my gifts, I spent some time on Monday afternoon walking the streets of these city slums, begging God for spiritual discernment. I spent considerable time on Monday night and Tuesday in prayer for Ucopi, and the work that would be done there.



It is now Wednesday, and I could tell you any of a multitude of stories of the work of the Spirit in Ucopi over the last 48 hours. But it is late, and Philip is waiting, so I'll just tell you my favorite one.



Bridget and I visited the home of Alicia, accompanied by a few of our new Spanish-speaking friends. Poor, broken, worried, and hurting, Alicia humbly accepted our prayers and graciously welcomed the news we brought. We told her of a love that was greater than all hurt and stronger than any need. We talked about Christianity, a relationship with Christ, and sins that were covered by grace. Alicia cried. I prayed.



Alicia's home, in the heart of the city slums, is beautiful. She loves flowers and so one entire side of her little cardboard box is lined with potted plants -- most of them in bloom. The live botanicals are a welcome reprieve -- a literal breath of fresh air -- from the other sites and smells of Ucopi. Five of us sat on plastic lawn chairs near these flowers, talking of Christ and hope and love and salvation and children and family. Picture this moment with me. In the middle of a very dark place, where drugs and theft and rape and danger lurk, there are five people, sitting near the flowers, speaking Truth and the word of God, praying, begging, laughing, crying.



Art, one of the five in this conversation, is from Harlengten. He speaks fluent Spanish and he is passionate about sharing Jesus Christ with those who don't believe. He and Alicia talked for quite some time, and Alicia prayed with Art to ask that Jesus Christ cover her sins with His grace. The two continued to talk for some time in Spanish. Bridget and I did not understand the language, so we sat in our lawn chairs and prayed silently. At some point in this crazy conversation, Bridget turned to me and, with perfect clarity, interpreted the Spanish conversation between Alicia and Art.


He tells her that just as these flowers need water and sunlight to grow and bloom, so she will need a church in order to grow in her life with Christ....


My mouth dropped open. How do you know, I whispered to her. I don't know. I just know. Bridget continued to translate for several minutes, overwhelmed by the Spirit and a gift that neither one of us have ever imagined, much less expected.


I don't understand the intricate workings of the Holy Spirit. I don't know how God does what He does, or why He chooses to use the people He uses. This mystery is beautiful to me. And I am thankful, so thankful that I have been allowed to glimpse a bit of God's power as He works through us in Mexico. It has been an awesome week, filled with the power of God, the glory of Christ, prayer, healing, worship, and many other stories just like this one.


-Jen Martin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a testimony and an example of what God can do using a small group of people with their eyes on Him and not on the THINGS around us.
I know each of the mission team sacrificed much in order to make that trip but HE will not let them ever forget the work done IN HIS NAME, JESUS!