Friday, July 17, 2009

Mexico 2009- Goodbye and Adios



Today, our last day at San Antonio, I looked around at all the faces that I have come to love. I have been working with the women's ministry at this site. We didn't know that we would have a women's ministry here when we came on Monday. But on that first day of VBS, three ladies showed up who had a desire to study God's word.


Each day our group grew. Today we had 27 ladies who wanted to hear more about Jesus and study God's word. Bible study here is not in a comfy room with cushioned chairs, a nursery for the little ones, and fresh hot coffee. In fact there is no room, no chairs, no nursery, and no coffee. We sit on a tarp outside. We did manage a shady spot though. The mothers who have babies and toddlers too young for the VBS have them sitting with us. But this has been one of the greatest times of sharing with other women that I have had.


Sitting behind us, Pastor Larry sits with his new friend, Jose. Carol wrote about him on Monday. Larry has his Bible open and is sharing God's word with Jose. Across the way, I see my girls, Katie and Hannah, loving on the children and hugging their new friends from La Roca, the church that we're working with here. I start to get a little sad that I'm coming home today. I'm going to miss this. I'm going to miss seeing these ladies.


But as I shared with my hermanas (sisters) here, we will one day all live together. As Paul wrote in Philippians 3:20, "Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ." There will come a day, when it won't matter if we came from the Estados Unidos, Mexico, or anywhere else. If we belong to Jesus Christ, we will all live with Him in heaven, and language will no longer be a barrier. So yes, it's sad to go, but in Christ there really is no such thing as "Adios!"


-Susan Hoskins

No comments: